Thursday, November 10, 2011

Dealing with haters.

Dealing with haters.

At my "necessary" job, I gave one of my business consultant cards to a colleague there. Apparently, on my day off, he was having a great time making fun of me with the rest of the staff, saying things like

a. "how can he think he has the experience?"
b. "I wouldn't hire him!"
c. "who does he have for clients? nobody I bet!"

The guy who told me this was really shook up by the fact that they would say this about me. I got a kick out of it for three reasons

1. Most Business consultants start work at: you guessed it, 23
2. They couldn't afford me, anyway
3. their boss is one of my clients!

about a week and a half later, two people CAME TO ME seeking business advice, friends of a friend from this little dis fest that these people had.

Where you at, haters?

I've never let haters get to me, even though I have experienced a lot of failure in my time. I've ran 4 businesses that have tanked, sold one due to an unsustainable business model, and now I'm here. You only learn from experience in a field like this, though, and that is exactly what those experiences have given me that many people don't have.

One client is starting a car shop and is looking for a business plan.
Another is a growing logging company looking for venture capital.

I'm stoked to knock this one out of the park. Lots of people would have stopped when their colleagues start bashing on them. I use this as a great way to put things in perspective. If their insults are founded in fact, then look at them and correct course (but don't ever tell them that!) if not, laugh at it.

til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment