Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Awesome Articles, and an interesting problem.

http://hbr.org/2011/11/what-business-can-learn-from-organized-crime/ar/1?cm_sp=most_widget-_-hbr_articles-_-What%20Business%20Can%20Learn%20from%20Organized%20Crime

great points! technology is something you should ABUSE! make it your b%^#

In other news, I had an interesting obstacle to overcome today. Besides trying to contact my first "mentor" a la my DIY Harvard Business School Program, which led to eminent failure as his website has a few bugs (good talking point when i get him on the phone tomorrow)My friend offered up the exciting news that he's planning on opening a car shop in town focused on performance import vehicles. He is, undeniably the BEST mechanic I have ever met, able to fix anything with wheels in a matter of minutes. His financial and business mind is not quite as powerful. This is a guy who has a hard time understanding the idea that his skills have value, and I have to pay him in favors instead of cash every time he fixes my car! He has a true and honest love for his trade, and it is so deep and so pure that he believes that putting money in the way will somehow tarnish it.
The first thing I said to my good ol' buddy when he announced his venture was "Great! Let's sit down next week and get a business plan together"
This met with a suprisingly large amount of resistance from him. Resistance I did not expect.

What I didn't understand is that he (the tradesman) had not separated his trade from the idea of a business model, and he thought that I was implying "I know more about your TRADE, let me show you how to do it" instead of "I want to help you succeed IN YOUR TRADE."  this is an important difference.

It finally came down to me saying this "look, I know you know about one MILLION times more than I do about cars, I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that I may know about 500,000 times more about putting a business plan together so that you can make sure you succeed."  Unfortunately, I think the damage had been done. I have a feeling that before the doors of the shop opens he WILL talk to me about his business, but it will be on his terms. Good Learning experience!  Its important to ASK if people if they want your help before you OFFER it. Even if they're you're best friend.

Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment